How To Start A Fundraiser In Support Of The Hyper IgM Foundation:
Rallying your friends, family, and community around our cause is a great way to show your support and to have a real impact on the families we serve. Raising funds for the Foundation will help support our mission to improve the treatment, quality of life, and the long term outlook for children and adults living with Hyper IGM through research, support, education, and advocacy.
Anyone can start a fundraiser for the Hyper IgM Foundation in a few easy steps on two fundraising platforms or directly on our website.
The following instructions will show you how to easily start a fundraiser for the Hyper IgM Foundation on Facebook:
1) Direct linke to start a fundraiser: www.facebook.com/fundraisers/HyperIgMFoundation (jump to step 3)
Or Go to our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/HyperIgMFoundation
2) Under Fundraisers tab, click Create Fundraiser:
Or on the main page:
3) A window will pop up to show the fundraiser options:
4) Edit your fundraiser:
- The “Non – profit” should be set to the Hyper IgM Foundation
- You can keep the cover photo as is or upload your own by click “Add+” button
- Fundraiser Title – Enter a name for your fundraiser
- Tell your story – Add a short description of why you are raising funds for the Hyper IgM Foundation. Make it personal, tell your audience about your connection to the cause. Feel free to use any languge on our website: www.hyperigm.org and our mission statment: The Hyper IgM Foundation’s mission is to improve the treatment, quality of life, and the long term outlook for children and adults living with Hyper IGM through research, support, education, and advocacy
- End Date – Enter an end date for your fundraiser, or click “No End Date”
- Goal Amount – Set your target goal. Think realistically how much you wish to raise. Remember not to underestimate your goal. Setting a higher goal may help encourage people to donate and reach the goal
- Create – Click the create button
5) Invite your friends:
- Sharing and spreading the word about your fundraiser is the most important step
- Invite your friends – First step is to invite all your friends. The wider net you cast the more successful your fundraiser will be and the larger your impact. Clicking “Invite friends” button will open a pop up menu that will allow you to invite your friends and contacts. Click down on all or on as many as you want. Facebook will allow you only to invite 499 friends at a time. Going back and inviting more over the course of the day will allow you to invite all your contacts
- Ask your friends and family to click “invite friends” as well and follow the same step you did. By directly asking close friend and family to “invite friends” you will increase the people that see your fundraiser and help spread the word
- After you click send invitation, you will be prompted to upload a contact file, or link your email service to add more contacts. This is a good option if most of your contacts are not on Facebook
6) Share Fundraiser – This allows you to share your fundraiser to your Timeline. Make sure to add a “Call to Action” statement that will describe why you are raising funds and ask people to “donate and share” to help spread the word. You may use the sharing option more times throughout the fundraiser
7) Contact People – This allows you to follow up with the contacts you have invited to the fundraiser. You can send a message directly to people with messenger or with email. The pop up breaks down the contacts between those who have donated (you can send a quick thank you) and those that have not donated yet (you can send a direct reminder).
8) Status Update – Use the status update filed on your fundraiser to communicate to everyone visiting the page in a visible form. This is a good place to put updates about your goal and how things are moving along.
Tip for Success:
Whether it is your first time running a fundraiser for a cause or your twentieth, it is always good to follow these steps to ensure your success:
- Before spreading the word and inviting your friends, get at least one donation on your page. This can be your own personal donation to show your support, or a close friend or family member that is willing to help. Having at least one donation on the page will help jumpstart others to donate when they get invited
- Tell a story – People get asked all the time for donations for causes. Telling your own story and why you are fundraising for our specific cause is key to getting your message heard and allowing your effort to stand out.
- Don’t be afraid to ask – asking for the donation is sometimes the hardest part, but it is a key aspect of the fundraising effort. Asking for a donation, big or small, goes a long way. Remember, everyone that donates to your fundraiser does so out of the goodness of their hearts. They may have been affected directly by this disease, or know someone that has been. Or they may have been affected by another unrelated disease. In general, people that give to charities tend to have had a plan to give to a charity anyway, and your direct ask, your “call to action” that came across their feed or in their inbox, has prompted them to give to your cause.
- Thank you, Thank you and Thank you! – The most important part of a fundraiser is to acknowledge your donor and supporters. Do your best to directly thank everyone that gives to your fundraiser either on Facebook, or with a direct message or email. If a friend or family member gives an especially larger donation, pick up the phone and call them to show your gratitude.
- Remember, Facebook sends a gift acknowledgement by email to the donor, but the Foundation does not get most donors’ contact information. Thanking your donors goes a long way to show that you and The Foundation appreciate their support.
- Sharing – Thank your friends that have shared your fundraiser with a comment or message. And as your friends and family to share the fundraiser on their pages and with their contacts. The more people that see your fundraiser the more successful it will be.
More ideas from Facebook:
New! Live Video Fundraisers
More and more people are going live on Facebook to share their experiences. That’s because live video helps friends and family feel like they’re in the moment.
Now you can add your fundraiser to a live video. If you are a supporter who have created a fundraiser for the Hyper IgM Foundation, you can now attach that fundraiser to a live video. Then when you go live, viewers can contribute to the fundraiser during the live video. This is a great way to take advantage of the growing video engagement on Facebook.
You can add a fundraiser to your live video with your personal profile on Android and iOS.
New! Posts with Donate Buttons
You can now easily raise money for the Hyper IgM Foundation by adding a donate button to your posts. When creating a post, you will have access to all of Facebook’s rich storytelling tools (such as tagging friends, checking into locations, sharing feelings / activities etc). Adding a donate button is simple (follow the steps below or learn more here):
- Click Feeling/Activity
- Scroll down to click Supporting
- Select a nonprofit
- Click Post
- Click Add Button to confirm you want to add the donate button to your post
People can engage with the post by liking it or sharing it with their friends and in turn promote visibility and awareness of your cause.